Yosemite National Park is a perfect excuse to visit during winter. For true hikers, the Yosemite winter should on their wish list. Driving in the snow, in this area is intimidating for sure!
If you can anticipate the snow, it does not a big deal if you have to handle the snowy trek for over 8 inches. The views are the big reason why you should visit there while snowshoeing is so much fun in Yosemite’s Badger Pass. Visiting Yosemite during winter means that it is like you are going to a magical place, walking and leading your imagination to Narnia.
Snowshoeing Yosemite National Park
It is amazing if it is going to be your first time snowshoeing. Just like us, we have to deal with more work but hiking is so much easier at this time!
We also recommend you to go to Aspen Grove at the Badger Pass. If you want to go to the most popular snowshoe hike, go to the Dewey Point. It is better to do some training first before going there so you can enjoy it more. Fresh snowfall makes you easily lose your way. We think you will need a guided snowshoe hike if you want a more comfortable snowshoeing.
What To Wear For A Yosemite Winter
- The dress is layered since you may feel cold at first but after that, it is getting hot when you start hiking.
- Patagonia thermal weight bottoms and long sleeve tops
- Midweight zip neck and legging pants for her and jeans for him
- Nano air jacket for her and pullover for him
- A ski or snowboarding jacket when it is snowing
- If you want something better than a scarf, you should try a balaclava. It is true that it is not the most fashionable option but it is so practical.
- Waterproof high shoes are great so your feet are not getting wet.
- Don’t wear cotton. The bottom of your pants may get wet.
- Bring a waterproof backpack to keep your gear dry if it snows heavily.
- If you want to go up Badger Pass Ski Area, a ranger may tell you that you will need tire chains. During winter, rangers are at various points to provide information on whether you should put them on or take them off.
Tire Chain Tips:
Here are some things to consider before visiting Yosemite during winter when it comes to tire chains:
- Purchase tire chain on Amazon. Do this before you are going to Yosemite. There are many choices available on Amazon and the costs are much cheaper compared to get them in the last minute. You can buy there and they work great.
- It is also important to note that each brand of tire chain comes with the sizing guide. Therefore, we recommend you to check first whether you are buying the right size or not. Read carefully when you are buying at an online store. It can waste your time if you have to return your purchase just because you are picking the wrong size. Plus, you still have to deal with the refund process. That is not funny at all.
- Once your tire chains are on your hands, it is the best time to try and put them on at your home. This is good to make you familiar with the process.
- Take your time to put the chains on. You should do it to practice. It can take half an hour to put the chains on. So, you should have enough time to train yourself so you can put them on easily next time.
- Anticipate the weather is a must. If you think that it is going to snow overnight, you should put the chains on the night before. This is important to do so you can save your time and continue your adventure. You do not want to try and then put them on after the snow, aren’t you?
- In Yosemite during winter, some recommend chains for two tires that are driving, but it does not a big deal to go ahead and get all four. In fact, you can see cars slipped on the roads by using two tires. Therefore, it is better to get all four to make sure that you are still safe.
- You should only drive not more than 30 mph on the chains. This is good for your safety.
- It is better to bring some work gloves. Wear these so you can put on the tire chains easily and comfortably when the weather is really cold. Do this so you still can get your comfort.
- Make your chains are more durable by rinsing off right after you are done snowshoeing and then spray a bit of WD-40 on your chains. This is great as the secret of mechanic that we would like to share with you as well.
A Yosemite winter is a must to enjoy because the snow is intimidating with the beautiful views and fun snowshoeing. Finally, we understand why people love Yosemite during winter. You even cannot wait to go back for the next winter. If you go with your group, it will be an unforgettable trip to have since you all will have a lot of fun to hang out during winter.
Besides, it is amazing to find some new photographers or Instagrammers. Every one of us gets amazing photos. You will love the National Parks and Yosemite is one of the best choices. So, have you visited Yosemite? What things do you love to do there? Do you have a plan to go there again? Do you have a plan to visit Yosemite during winter? Don’t forget to bring your gear and enjoy snowshoeing with your partners.
If you have a plan to visit Yosemite winter, plan everything carefully. Make a solid plan that we even recommend you to plan it for advance. Start your plan since the beginning like purchasing the tire chain correctly, and having your gear ready. You don’t want everything goes out of your expectation. Happy snowshoeing and enjoy your days!