Is Cream Cheese Frosting Keto? No, regular cream cheese frosting is not keto because it contains sugar. Traditional cream cheese frosting is pretty much the opposite of low carb. Fortunately, it’s actually very easy to make keto cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting Without Powdered Sugar
How do you make cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar? Yep, powdered erythritol works basically the same way as sugar in this low carb cream cheese frosting recipe. It’s even a natural sweetener, too. The difference is, no powdered sugar means no insulin spike. And, no sugar crash later. Yay!
How To Make Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
So, how do you make low carb cream cheese frosting? It’s very straightforward.
All you need are five ingredients and a hand mixer!
- Beat together cream cheese and butter, until the mixture is fluffy.
TIP: Make sure both the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature first. Otherwise, they will be too stiff and may not mix well.
- Beat in powdered sweetener and vanilla. (This is where you’ll want to grind your sweetener first if it’s not already powdered.)
- Thin out the frosting to a creamy consistency. The way I do it is by adding some heavy cream, and you can adjust the amount to your liking. If you like, you could also use any milk of your choice, such as almond or coconut milk.
TIP: If you want your sugar-free frosting recipe to be keto friendly, don’t use regular dairy milk, which has sugar from the lactose.
Ingredient Ratios in My Favorite Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting
One thing that makes this low carb cream cheese frosting a little different from most is the ratios. I don’t like a lot of butter in my cream cheese frosting.
My sugar-free cream cheese frosting recipe has a 4:1 ratio of cream cheese to butter.
I prefer to let the slightly tart flavor of the cream cheese shine through. But if that’s not your thing? No problem! It’s super easy to customize.
TIP: If you’d rather have a stronger buttercream frosting flavor or texture, feel free to change up the ratio – you just want 10 tablespoons total. More butter and less cream cheese should work just fine.
Low Carb Keto Cream Cheese Frosting without Powdered Sugar
Want to see how to make cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar? It’s so easy! This delicious, low carb keto cream cheese frosting recipe has just 5 ingredients. Use sugar-free keto cream cheese icing to frost cupcakes, cakes, and more.
- Course Dessert
- Cuisine American
- Calories 110 kcal
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 5 minutes
- Servings 6 servings
- US Customary – Metric
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 4 oz Cream cheese (softened, cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp Butter (softened, cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup Powdered allulose (or powdered erythritol)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Heavy cream (or more if needed)
- Use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese and butter, until fluffy.
- Beat in the sweetener and vanilla, until well incorporated.
- Add cream and beat again, until creamy. You can adjust the amount of cream to desired consistency.
Serving size: 2 tbsp