These Strawberry Rhurbarb Pot Pies are a spring classic. The sweetness of the strawberries paired with the tartness of the rhubarb makes for a winning combination.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: 6 pot pies
- 1 lb. rhubarb cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces, leaves discarded
- 3 cups strawberries sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp instant tapioca
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 6-8 tbsp ice water plus more if needed
- 1 large egg beaten plus 1 tsp of water
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling optional
- vanilla ice cream for serving optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca and orange juice. Mix well.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into 6 one cup ramekin dishes.
- Place on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
Make pie dough:
- Stir together flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse for a few seconds until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- Sprinkle the water over the flour mixture and process until the dough comes together.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out 6 rounds of dough, about 1/2 inch larger than the top of the ramekin.
- Using a small decorative cookie cutter, cut a vent into the middle of each round.
- Place the dough rounds on top of the filled ramekin dishes, pressing the edges down over the rim.
- Cut a vent in the middle of the dough at this point if you don’t have a small decorative cookie cutter.
- Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes until lightly browned and the fruit is bubbly.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.