These low carb meringue cookies can be part of an egg fast, which I’ll get into in a bit, when you pair them with a yolk and fat. Plus, they’re a great snack for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Also, because they are almost zero carbs, they’re perfect for anyone following a keto or low carb diet. And they come together in just a few simple steps:
- Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. I like to use my stand mixer on high for this. Then slowly add the stevia while continuing to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon drops of the beaten egg whites onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheets. I usually get about 48 total meringue cookies, 24 per cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies at 215°F for about two hours or until cookies begin to brown. Turn off the oven and leave the cookies in the warm oven to brown to desired color.
Technically, traditional meringue cookies aren’t supposed to be brown. However, I like them a little better when they’re crunchy. That’s why I purposely bake them this way.
If you don’t want your cookies browned at all, just keep an eye on them when you’re getting close to two hours.
What to do with leftover egg yolks
This recipe calls for 5 egg whites. So if you use whole eggs rather than egg whites, you’re going to have some egg yolks leftover.
Rather than throw them out, you can use them in recipes that call for only egg yolks.
Make egg fast recipes
I like to make this frozen egg custard recipe that only uses yolks from I Breathe I’m Hungry. I discovered it during my first egg fast, and it’s quite delicious.
You could also try my egg fast coconut oil mayonnaise that uses cooked egg yolks instead of raw ingredients.
Egg Fast Sugar Free Meringue Cookies
Looking for a snack to enjoy while on an Egg Fast? These stevia sweetened sugar free meringue cookies have about zero carbs so they are safe on a keto diet.
- Course Snack
- Cuisine American
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 2 hours
- Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- Servings 48 cookies
- Calories 6kcal
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar about 1.27 grams
- 3/4 teaspoon SweetLeaf stevia drops
US Customary – Metric
- Preheat oven to 215°F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until they begin to form soft peaks.
- Slowly add the stevia while continuing to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon drops of the beaten egg whites onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for about two hours or until cookies begin to brown.
- Leave cookies in warm oven to brown to desired color.
If on an egg fast, these cookies should be eaten with a yolk and fat for proper egg to fat ratio. I recommend enjoying with a Bulletproof coffee made with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 egg yolk!