This was the first time I cooked pork belly. I followed the recipe exactly. The crispy parts were tasty but I didn’t care for the rest. I made this for a gourmet dinner. Served it as the salad course with wilted romaine lettuce made with the fat from the pork belly and some bacon fat. My husband loved it.
yields 6 servings
- ½ pound whole pork belly, skin removed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, or to taste
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Season pork belly all over with smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Wrap pork in parchment paper; wrap a second time in aluminum foil, and a third time in another sheet of aluminum foil. Place pork packet in a baking dish.
- Roast in the preheated oven until tender for 6 hours. Let cool in wrappings to room temperature; place cooled packet in refrigerator and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap chilled meat. Save any rendered fat that falls away when unwrapping pork.
- Cut meat into 6 equal-size portions. Cut 1/8-inch by 1/8-inch slashes in the fat-side of the pork. Season with salt.
- Heat 2 tablespoons reserved pork fat in a skillet over medium heat. Place pork belly, fat side down, in hot fat; cook until well-browned on all sides and heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork belly to a plate, drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.