This cake actually tastes just like carrot cake and has the same moist texture. If you didn’t tell someone they were eating sweet potato cake, they would probably think it’s carrot, but since it’s fall and sweet potatoes are all over, it’s fun to use sweet potatoes. Sweet Potato Cake is really just like a carrot cake but made with shredded sweet potato instead. It’s a tender spicy cake, with a puffy sweet marshmallow frosting. It will all melt in the mouth in total splendor.
A moist, lightly spiced, cake loaded with shredded sweet potatoes and topped with a thick and creamy marshmallow frosting and chopped pecans.
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 and 1/2 cup peeled shredded, sweet potatoes*
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chopped pecans for garnish, opt.
- 1/2 cup or 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 7 ounce carton marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, shredded sweet potatoes, brown sugar, sugar, oil and vanilla and mix until well blended. Pour batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking pan and spread out evenly.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and top with Marshmallow Frosting and chopped pecans, if desired.
- *Note: It’s best to grate the sweet potatoes on the medium or small side of the grater. If you use the large side, the sweet potatoes don’t get as soft during baking.
For the Frosting:
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, marshmallow creme, salt and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining one cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. Frosting will be thick. Carefully spread over cooled cake.