The popular cake is topped with homemade chocolate frosting, and perfect to serve with a glass of milk or tea. This traditional Bolo de Cenoura or Brazilian carrot cake is one of the most popular delicious desserts in the world. It is unlike any typical carrot cake you have tried before and is really a unique dessert. Rich in texture and flavor this dessert is ideally coated with a delightful signature chocolate sauce. In the article, am presenting you a simple and easy way to prepare this traditional cake without all the fuss.
For the Cake:
- 4 medium carrots (finely chopped, minced)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 75 grams’ dark chocolate (70%) or 3 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup sugar
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20×30 cm cake tin.
- In a food processor or blender mix the sugar, eggs, oil, and chopped carrots. Process until smooth.
- Then, transfer the mixture into a bowl and add in the baking powder and flour. Combine well with a wooden spoon. Spread the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Let it cool in the tin, while preparing the chocolate sauce.
To make the chocolate sauce:
- In a saucepan, apply all ingredients for the chocolate sauce and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and cook for additional 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Let the sauce to cool slightly, then spread over the cooled cake with a spatula. Slice and serve.