Love this recipe. I had almost given up on trying to cook pork chops. My husband and I loved this. Excellent juicy pork! Just threw out mom’s recipe I’ve been using for decades. Didn’t want the smoke detectors going off again, so I used bbq grill like stove & then lowered temp & closed lid.
How To Make It
My favorite baked pork chops recipe — easy to make, nice and juicy, and easy to customize with your favorite seasonings.
prep time: 28 MINUTES
cook time: 12 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
yield: 2 SERVINGS
- To brine your pork chops, fill a large bowl with 1 quart of warm (not hot) water and 1/4 cup kosher salt. Stir to combine until most of the salt is absorbed. Add the pork chops and let them sit in the mixture to brine for 15 minutes. Or you can also also cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Remove the pork chops from the brine, rinse with cold water, then pat them dry with some paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush the pork chops on both sides with olive oil
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder until combined. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on both sides of the pork.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet (or oven-safe sauté pan) on the stove over high heat for 5 minutes. Once the pan is super-hot, add the pork chops and use a spatula to press them evenly into the pan, so that the entire bottom surface of the pork chops makes contact with the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the under-sides of the pork chops are golden brown. Carefully use tongs to flip the pork chops. Then use an oven mitt to carefully transfer the skillet to the oven. Continue baking for 3 minutes. Then flip the pork chops once more, and continue baking for 3-5 minutes more, or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (62°C).
- Once the pork is ready to go, immediately remove the pan from the oven, and transfer the pork to a clean plate. Brush any of the pan juices onto the pork chops. Then loosely tent the plate with aluminum foil and and let the pork rest for at least 3 minutes.
- Serve warm. Or, refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.