The main distinction of chocolate zucchini cake is its moistness. The zucchini absorbs the cocoa while delivering the full flavor of chocolate, but without the heaviness of some other chocolate cakes.
This dark chocolate orange zucchini cake is so easy to prepare! It is rich, moist, and very delicious! If you like the combination of chocolate and orange, then this Bundt cake is the perfect dessert for you! You will need around an hour to prepare it – here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange, divided
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 5 oz. (100 grams) dark chocolate, melted
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cups zucchini (peeled, shredded)
For the frosting:
- 2 ¾ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons baking cocoa
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Generously grease a Bundt pan. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk sugar and butter until creamy. Apply the eggs, orange zest, vanilla, whisking well after each addition. Pour in milk, ½ of the orange juice, baking cocoa, and oil. Then, melt the dark chocolate (over a double boiler/in a microwave for 30 sec./or on a low heat) and apply in the mixture. Combine until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Apply flour to cocoa mixture slowly, whisking well after each addition.
- Add in zucchini. Apply batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or just until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa. Then, add milk and ½ tablespoon orange juice, alternately, until you get a spreadable consistency. Spread the frosting over cooled cake.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving. Slice and serve.