This recipe is everything you want from a vanilla cake and more! Even better that it just happens to be vegan. Making vegan cakes is a unique process from their egg and dairy counterparts, but the results are equally tasty! This easy vegan vanilla cake is the perfect dessert for birthday parties, graduations, weddings or just because occasions. Nothing says happy like a soft and sweet vanilla cake and creamy frosting!
This vanilla cake has a soft, tender, moist crumb and just happens to be vegan. It’s easy to make and the perfect cake for birthdays and celebrations!
ONE 8-INCH CAKE OR TWO 6-INCH CAKES
- 2 tsp (10g) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (270g) plant milk
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (210g) all purpose flour*
- 3/4 cups + 1 tbsp (170g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (82g) oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp (16g) vanilla extract
TWO 8-INCH CAKES
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20g) apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups (540g) plant milk
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp (420) all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp (340g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (12g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp (10g) salt
- 3/4 cup (164g) oil
- 3 tbsp (32g) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Prepare the baking pan(s) by spraying with oil then placing a parchment paper circle to cover the bottom of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl add the plant milk and vinegar and set aside to clabber for 5-10 minutes.
- In a second mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until fluffy.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract into the clabbered milk and mix to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (or divide in half if baking 2 cakes). Bake the 8″ cakes for 36-38 minutes, bake the 6″ cakes for 31-33 minutes. The cakes are done when the edges are golden and have pulled away from the sides of the pan and a test comes out clean or with one or two crumbs.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Then working gently, turn over the pan with a wire cooling rack to catch the cake. Remove the pan, then peel off the parchment paper. Turn the cake back right side up and leave to cool fully on a cooling rack.
- Place the cooled cakes on a cake board and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge or in freezer-safe ziplock bags in the freezer until ready to decorate.
*To properly measure the flour: whisk to undo settling, scoop, then level. Measuring any other way could result in too much or too little flour. If possible it is best to use a kitchen scale.