This is delicious and is really quick to make. It is bursting with zest and fruit, and best of all it tastes just like my Mums. I’m all for new recipes but at the end of the day, Christmas is about tradition. Homemade Mince Pies are flakey pockets of fruity heaven. Each individual pie is filled with boozy fruit, citrus and sweetness that just screams Christmas for me.
- 1 ⅓ Cup (175g) plain flour
- 7 Tbsp (100g) cold butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Homemade Mince Meat
- Put flour, butter and icing sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Mix together the egg yolks and water and add to the dry ingredients.
- Pulse until a dough forms, around 10 seconds.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minute to allow the gluten to relax before rolling
- Roll on a floured surface to the fit your tin or pie dish. a good thickness is ¼ inch
- Take a round cutter (around 3 inches) and cut out your circles.
- Place into a butter bun/ cupcake tin
- Fill with your mince meat filling, around 3/4 of the way
- Brush the edge of the pastry with egg wash and lay on another round pastry on top
- Seal the 2 pieces of pastry together with a fork. this keeps the filling and juices
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream