This pie is perfect anytime, but I especially love to serve it in the warmer months of the year. It’s one of the most refreshing desserts and always a hit. I really do believe it’s the best and hope you think so too! This Key Lime Pie Recipe is deliciously tart, airy, light and refreshing! An easy, updated version of a classic recipe, this is simply the best key lime pie ever! Such an elegant dessert that is always a favorite!
How to Make Key Lime Pie
Well for one, I use the whole egg. While the egg yolks give the key lime pie such richness, the egg whites help to give the pie a lift. It alters the texture from a dense, thick custard to a silky, cloud-like confection. It might not be for everyone, but everyone that I’ve served it to has absolutely raved about it.
The second thing I do is add in a bit of zest from the limes. Along with the lime juice in the recipe, the fresh lime zest amps up the lime flavor and makes the pie a whole lot more interesting and well, zesty!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 174kcal
- 1 Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk or 1 (14-ounce) can, store-bought
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- lime slices optional
for the whipped cream (optional)
- perfect whipped cream recipe
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Whisk egg yolk, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl until well-combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixture until they begin to foam. Gradually add in granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy and soft peaks have formed. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture and carefully spoon into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and set throughout. Remove from the oven and chill on a wire rack. Lightly cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours.
- For serving, remove from springform pan, if using, and top with whipped cream and lime slices. Slice and serve.
- Top with the whipped cream, if using.
If key limes are not available, regular Persian limes may be used for juice and zest.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 189mg | Iron: 0.4mg