This is the best strawberry cream pie ever! It’s so creamy. I thought I wouldn’t be able to have desserts like this when I turned vegan but am so happy that I can now.
That slice you’re looking at there is everything creamy and strawberry-y and delicious. It’s quickly becoming a summertime fav around here.
This pretty pink Vegan Strawberry Cream Pie is as delicious as it gets. It’s made with creamy strawberry cashew custard and a coconut crust. It’s a naturally dairy-free + gluten-free + paleo dessert recipe that everyone will LOVE!
The reason many vegan desserts need to be frozen is that they melt into a coconut milky mess when they’re at room temperature. They need to be frozen to keep them looking like the traditional dessert they are trying to replicate.
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub granulated sugar)
- 1 chia egg, see notes
THE STRAWBERRY FILLING:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 1-24 hours (see notes)
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries tops cut off
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4–1/2 cup coconut sugar (can sub granulated sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Coconut whipped cream
- Sliced strawberries
- Grease a 9″ pie pan with a little coconut oil. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the coconut, coconut oil, sugar, and chia egg to your food processor. Process on high for 1 minute.
- Transfer the coconut to the greased pie pan and press into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is light brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the cashews, strawberries, coconut oil, 1/4 cup sugar, sea salt, and lime juice in your high-powered blender or food processor and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and add more sugar if you’d like it sweeter.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie and smooth the top. Place the pie into your fridge, uncovered, and let it set for at least 6 hours. If you would like a firmer filling, freeze the pie for 2-3 hours.
- Serve the pie with some coconut whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries over the top.
To make a chia egg, mix one tablespoon ground chia seeds or flax seeds with three tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 15 minutes then use it in the recipe.
A high-powered blender works the best to make the cashews super creamy. If you don’t have one, soak the cashews for at least 4 hours.