This was easy to make and so delicious! I replaced the starlight candies with chopped peppermint kisses and it was great. Simple to make and made for an impressive presentation after dinner. If you are looking for a classic holiday dessert, this peppermint chocolate roll cake is for you. Delicious (check), stunning (check) and easy to make!! I hope you give it a try this holiday season and share it with some loved ones. A delicious chocolate sheet cake, rolled up with peppermint cream cheese frosting in the center, and covered in chocolate ganache. This cake roll is heavenly! It’s perfect for wow-ing guests and beautiful for celebrating this special time of year.
For the Cake:
- 4 large eggs , separated
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 20 starlight mint candies crushed
For the ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
- starlight mint candies , crushed for topping
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in medium bowl on medium speed of mixer 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar; continue beating 2 additional minutes.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth.
- Gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until well blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for ONE minute.
- Lift the parchment paper and hot cake out of the pan and onto a flat (heat-safe) surface. Immediately, while the cake is hot, starting at one of the short ends, use your hands to gently and slowly roll the cake (and parchment paper!) all the way up.
- Allow the rolled up cake to cool completely, on top of a wire cooling rack. (Setting it on a wire rack allows it to cool underneath the roll, and keeps the cake from sweating).
- Transfer to the fridge to cool for an additional 30 minutes.
- While the cake roll is cooling in the fridge, mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract together with an electric mixer until fluffy and smooth.
- Gently stir in desired amount of crushed peppermint candies, to taste. Save a handful for sprinkling on the ganache, at the end, if desired.
- Once the cake roll is cooled completely, unroll it very carefully. Gently smooth the filling in an even layer over the cake.
- Roll up the cake, without the parchment paper. (If you see it start to stick at all to the paper you can use a butter knife gently scrape along the bottom edge of the cake as you roll it up, to help release it.)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For the Ganache:
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan until hot. Pour over chocolate and stir continuously until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Allow the ganache to cool for several minutes to give it time to thicken up a little.
- Gently spoon/pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the peppermint roll. Sprinkle additional chopped peppermint candy on top, if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Store in the fridge, covered, for up to three days.
Make ahead instructions: The cake roll can be prepared completely and refrigerated for 1-2 days before serving. OR, you can bake the cake, roll it in the parchment paper to cool. Once cool, refrigerate it (rolled in the parchment paper) for up to 1 day, before filling and adding the ganache. To freeze: Prepare the cake roll completely, with the filling but do not add the ganache. Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before adding the ganache and then slicing and serving.