Made this for a dessert at Christmastime everyone loved it. Easy to make. Will be making it again this year.
- ½ cup Chelsea Caster Sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks, extra
- ½ cup Chelsea Caster Sugar, extra
- 1½ cups cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 75g store bought small meringues
- Place caster sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar then simmer for 6–7 mins or until syrup thickens slightly. Set lemon syrup aside to cool for 20 mins.
- Combine eggs, extra yolks and extra caster sugar in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk for 5 mins or until frothy (the heat helps to increase the volume of the mixture).
- Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Fold through lemon syrup.
- Beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold through lemon egg mixture with the lemon rind.
- Line a 26cm x 10cm loaf pan with plastic wrap. Scatter whole meringues over the base. Tip: Do not crush meringues as they will dissolve into the ice cream mix and the loaf will lose the little bursts of crunchy meringue that make this recipe so special. Pour lemon mixture over meringue layer. Cover with foil and freeze overnight. Enjoy cut into thick slices.