I made this for the first time ,it is truly a pound cake dense and delicious. Very easy to make, my family enjoyed it. I will tweek it a bit by adding a little more key lime juice.
This Key lime pound cake was inspired from a basic pound cake recipe that I like to play around with. It’s now the only cake requested at every gathering. The unfrosted cake freezes well.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated key lime zest
- 1 tablespoon Key lime juice
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Lime slices, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lime zest, vanilla and lime juice. Add flour alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, lime zest and lime juice until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Spread over cake. If desired, garnish with lime slices and additional zest.