This delicious cake starts with a boxed white cake that you prepare according to package directions. After it’s baked, you poke holes all over and then cover it in a sweet and tart key lime mixture that soaks down into the cake and fills all those holes. Top it all off with some fresh whipped cream and strawberries. The perfect blend of tart and sweet.
A moist white cake filled with tart key lime filling and topped with sweet whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
For the Key Lime Filling:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz.
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- grated zest of 1/2 a lime
- 4 drops yellow food coloring opt.
- 1 drop green food coloring opt.
- 1/2 cup bottled key lime juice I use Nellie and Joe’s
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbl. sugar
- Fresh strawberries sliced
- lime slices opt.
- grated lime zest opt.
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for a 9×13-inch pan. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes and then poke holes all over the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon, being careful not to poke all the way to the bottom; set aside.
For the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, lime zest and food coloring. Last, stir in the key lime juice. Once you add the key lime juice, it will start to thicken pretty quickly. Pour filling over the top of the cake, spread back and forth so it fills the holes. Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight.
For the Topping:
- Add the whipping cream to a medium bowl that has been chilled in the freezer. Using a hand mixer, mix cream until frothy. Add the vanilla and gradually add the sugar as you mix. Mix until peaks form. Spread over cake and garnish with sliced strawberries, sliced limes and grated lime zest, if desired.
Note: You can find bottled key lime juice at the grocery store next to bottled lime and lemon juice.