Dark chocolate mousse on a buttery chocolate crust, garnished with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings. There is no need to turn on the oven to make this delicious chocolate cake! Even though am not a fan of coffee in desserts – this is totally my jam! This is a simple chocolate cake recipe that will save you time and money. You can prepare this sensational cake for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, or simply to surprise your family and friends for weekends. Here is the recipe:
- 450g/15 oz. high-quality dark chocolate (72% +)
- 250g/8 oz. caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (500ml) thick cream, lightly whipped
- 5 tablespoons (100ml) rum
- 2 cups (500ml) prepared strong black coffee (if you don’t like coffee you can use prepared organic cocoa)
- 450g/15 oz. ladyfingers biscuits
- Cocoa, to dust
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof dish and place over a pan of hot water. Stir constantly until the chocolate melts. Then, set aside to cool. In the meanwhile, whisk the eggs with ½ of the sugar till pale. Add the chocolate into egg mixture and then carefully fold in the cream. Refrigerate.
- Add the rum and remaining sugar to hot coffee, stirring to dissolve sugar. Next, dip half the ladyfingers in the coffee mixture and place a layer in the base of a 24cm springform pan, entirely covering the base and spread chocolate mixture over top.
- Dip remaining ladyfingers in coffee and apply over top. Finally, cover and place in the freezer (let it set overnight).
- Transfer to fridge half an hour before serving. Finally, dust with some cocoa powder, serve.