I have made these gluten free lemon bars with both Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour and Cup 4 Cup Multipurpose Flour. I actually preferred the Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour in this recipe because it created a flakier crust. Most gluten free all purpose flours should work in this recipe, but I can only 100% vouch for the success of the Bob’s Red Mill brand.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 24 bars
There’s nothing like the fresh spring taste of Gluten Free Lemon Bars! They’re the perfect party treat with a whole lot of sweet and a little punch of lemony tartness.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups high quality gluten free all-purpose flour I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1
- 1/2 cup high quality finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 sticks cold butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest 1-2 lemons
- 1/4 cup high quality gluten free all-purpose flour I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Begin making crust. Mix together gluten free flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until small pea sized pieces of dough form. Dough will be crumbly and somewhat dry at this point.
- Dump dough into pan and spread out evenly. Gently press down with tips of fingers or back of a spoon to form an even layer all the way to the edges of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set on cooling rack. Allow crust to cool completely to touch.*
- Begin making filling. Whisk all filling ingredients together until smooth. Pour over cooled crust. Jiggle to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (mine took 30) or until golden brown on the edges and set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and set on cooling rack. Allow to cool to room temperature. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Before serving, cut into squares with a sharp knife. Make sure to loosen edges of bars with knife. After cutting, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in fridge for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 3 months.
*Make sure to allow crust to cool completely. Otherwise the crust will become soggy.