The coconut whipped cream on top. Seriously the best part about the pie. So creamy and delicious on top of the key lime pie. The crust is also made of graham cracker and coconut. This pie is the perfect summer pie. The coconut and lime flavors compliment each other perfectly and I know you will love it too!
For the Pie:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Key lime zest grated
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounce
- 1/4 cup Key lime juice fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 whole graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream very cold
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut cream I used Coco Lopez
- 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar heaping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut lightly toasted, for garnish
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, grated lime zest, condensed milk, lime juice, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and thickened. Set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, combine graham crackers, coconut flakes, and brown sugar and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch glass pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Add the thickened filling to the pie crust and bake for about another 15 minutes until the center is firm but jiggles slightly in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled about 3 hours.
To make the coconut whipped cream:
- Combine the whipped cream, coconut cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. Beat until it forms soft peaks. Spread on top of chilled pie and garnish with toasted coconut.