I made this cake yesterday and it was so delicious, my son said it was the best! The receipe is easy to follow and cake tastes amazing. Perfect balance of sweet and cinnamon and the topping completes the cake!. I’m so excited to share my Cinnamon Tea Cake recipe with you today. It’s incredibly easy to make but it tastes like you’ve slaved away in the kitchen for hours. It has a super soft and tender crumb that’s buttery and sweet, and a crisp cinnamon sugar topping.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) milk
Cinnamon sugar topping
- 20 grams (1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a round 8 inch cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat briefly – don’t worry if the mixture goes lumpy – then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the plain flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add half of the flour mixture, along with all the milk and slowly mix together on a low speed. Add the remaining flour mix and continue to mix until cake batter is smooth and creamy.
- Pour cake batter into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, generously brush with melted butter and then sprinkle over cinnamon and sugar. Enjoy a slice while the cake is warm.