This cherry chocolate mousse cake is one of the most delicious desserts that I’ve ever tried! This cake very often and serves it after a dinner. Simple and easy.
- 14 oz. (400 grams) cherries, stoned
- 4 tablespoons brandy or rum
- 70% dark chocolate shavings, for topping
- Extra 100 grams (3.5 oz.) dark chocolate, melted – to decorate (optional)
For the cake:
- 4 ½ oz. (125 grams) 70% dark chocolate
- 2 oz. (55 grams) plain flour
- 2 oz. (55 grams) blanched almonds, toasted
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 ½ oz. (125 grams) butter, softened
- 4 ½ oz. (125 grams) caster sugar
For the ganache:
- 8 oz. (225 grams) 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 16 fl. oz. (450 ml) heavy cream
- For the topping: in a small bowl, apply the stoned cherries with 3 tablespoons brandy/rum. Leave overnight (to soak).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line (with baking parchment) a 9-inch (23 cm) spring form tin.
- In a double-boiler or over a low heat, melt the 4 ½ oz. (125 grams) chocolate together with the 3 tablespoons water. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks with the remaining 1 tablespoon brandy/rum. Leave aside to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, process the flour and almonds together until finely ground.
- Next, beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy and light. Add in the chocolate mix, and after that gently stir in the almond/flour mix. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks from and fold into the cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the ganache: In a large bowl, place the heavy cream. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the chocolate pieces. Leave for around 4-5 minutes, so the chocolate can melt. Then, mix together and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Remove the ganache from the fridge and, using an electric mixer, beat it shortly (about 1-2 minutes). Place the chilled cake back in the clean spring form tin and pour over the alcohol and cherries. Then, spoon over the ganache; smooth with a spatula.
- (Optional: melt 100 grams (3.5 oz.) dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl in a microwave for 30 sec. interval on high. Spread over the cake.)
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Before serving, decorate with some more chocolate shavings (if desired).