I am completely in love with these cupcakes, The chocolate cupcakes are incredibly moist and can be made ahead of time. Once they have completely cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and pop them in the freezer.
- 3/4 cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup hot coffee
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 1 batch Vanilla Bean Roasted Cherries
- 16 ounces mascarpone
- 16 ounces heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 2 Tbsp. Amaretto
- 2-4 Tbsp. reserved juice from roasted cherries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip eggs and vegetable oil on medium speed for about 3 minutes until combined.
- Slowly add in sugar, continuing to mix on medium speed for about 4-5 minutes until mixture gets pale in color.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in milk and vanilla extract.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Pour in coffee and Amaretto and stir to combine.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 of the way with cupcake batter and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-22 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip heavy cream and mascarpone until soft peaks start to form.
- Add powdered sugar and continue mixing.
- Add vanilla, followed by Amaretto.
- Add Reserved cherry juice, starting with 2 Tablespoons. Taste it to see if you want to add more, and if so, add an additional 1-2 Tablespoons. Whip until frosting is stiff enough to pipe.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with Tip #825 and pipe on top of completely cooled cupcakes.
- Top with roasted cherries.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and chocolate shavings. Serve right away!
The chocolate cupcakes are incredibly moist and can be made ahead of time. Once they have completely cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and pop them in the freezer.
The roasted cherries can be made in advance. Store them in a jar in the fridge so you’re ready to roll.
The frosting is best made when you are going to use it due to the fresh whipped cream and mascarpone. I have assembled the cupcakes and then popped them in the fridge for a few hours until I was ready to serve them and they held up very well. Just don’t assemble them too far in advance!
This recipe can be cut in half to make a smaller batch.
The mascarpone frosting does make a good amount of frosting. I pipe it on so I use a lot. If you are going to spread it on with a spatula, you will most likely use less and be able to half the recipe.