Give chops an oriental kick with this easy, sticky marinade. This is nice and tasty but needed longer cooking time than suggested. The salad is lovely with the pork. Only made the pork from this recipe and it was super!! Really intense and delicious flavours.
- 4 pork chops
For the marinade
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp each soy sauce, brown sugar, honey
- 1 tsp dry sherry, or Shaohsing rice wine
- thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the salad
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- juice 2 limes
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, then sliced
- small bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 50g roasted peanuts, chopped
- Make marinade by mixing ingredients together. Put chops in a shallow bowl or tray, pour marinade over, turning chops to make sure they are coated all over, and leave to stand for at least 30 mins.
- To make salad, put the fish sauce, lime juice and 1 tbsp water into a small bowl, add the sugar, then mix until dissolved. Stir in shallot and chilli. Put cucumber in a serving dish, sprinkle mint over, pour dressing over and scatter with peanuts.
- Heat the barbecue or griddle pan and cook chops on each side for 4-5 mins, until cooked. Serve with cucumber salad.