This bbq baked salmon is smokey and slightly sweet and the spice rub is sooo good. The mango salsa completes this dish and makes it delicious bite after bite. There’s a lime butter that goes on top of the salmon. It’s so good! I’ve made this twice now, once with the lime butter, and once I was in the middle of a million things and got distracted and forgot to make it. I am happy to report the baked bbq salmon is great both with and without the lime butter.
- Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons silver tequila
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- BBQ Salmon
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Lime butter:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- grated zest of 1/2 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- To make the mango salsa: In a bowl, combine the mango, onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime zest and juice, tequila and salt. Toss well. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
- To make the barbecue salmon: preheat the boiler to high and set the oven rack about 6″ below it. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the salmon fillet. Brush with the barbecue sauce.
- Broil the salmon for 6 to 8 minutes, or until just opaque and flaky.
- To make the lime butter: In a bowl, stir together the butter, lime zest, and salt until combined. While the salmon is still hot, pat the lime butter over top and let it melt. Top with the mango salsa and serve.