Easy Key Lime Poke Cake, A moist white cake filled with tart key lime filling and topped with sweet whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
- 1 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz package instant lemon pudding
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. key lime or regular lime juice
- 5 drops green food color
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 3/4 c. vanilla wafers (lightly crushed)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-by 13″ glass pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding, water, oil and eggs. Mix in the lime juice and food color until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Bake until set and a wooden pick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then use a fork to carefully poke several sets of holes into the cake.
- Glaze: In a bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and fresh lime juice. Slowly pour over the cake so that it seeps into the holes; let cool completely.
- Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter with confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in lime zest and juice. Frost the cooled cake, then sprinkle with vanilla wafers.