The cake is delicious and the cream cheese frosting is divine. These would be perfect for a party, however I think if I made these again, I would make them into triangles or squares and avoid the scrap cake all together.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely* shredded carrot about 6 medium (3 large for me)
- 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coarsely shredded carrot optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour the waxed paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine finely shredded carrot, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a large cutting board. Using a 2-inch round cutter, make cutouts in the cake, leaving as little space as possible between cutouts.
- You should get 28 to 32 cutouts.
- For each serving, place one of the cake cutouts on a serving plate. Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon
- Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting atop the cake round. Top with a second cake round and about 1 tablespoon additional frosting. If desired, garnish with coarsely shredded carrot.